Leather is a fantastic material! It's durable and versatile but, like anything, it needs a little love and care to function at its best.
Exposure to too much moisture can cause mold to grow on leather, while dryness or excessive exposure to the sun can lead to brittleness and cracking. That said, it's not hard to keep your leather products in excellent shape.
Read on for our guide to leather care:
- When you purchase a leather creation from us, it will arrive preconditioned, sealed and ready for use.
- If you generally keep your leather product out of the elements, you won't need to condition it often - perhaps once every six months to a year. If you're a little harder on your product - i.e. you use it frequently in the great outdoors or live in a harsh climate - you may find you need to condition a bit more often. It's not an exact science, but over time you will get a feel for what's right for your leather purchase.
- When it is time to condition, we recommend a beeswax-based leather cream like Skidmore's. Rub a very small amount on your leather product and buff with a clean, soft rag.
- If you choose to use a different leather conditioner, be sure to follow the manufacturer’s directions.
- If your product happens to get dirty, buff it with a lightly damp cloth, let it air dry and recondition with a small amount of leather conditioner.
- Please do not use any caustic products - i.e. alcohol, acetone, citrus, spot remover, gasoline, etc. - as these will damage the leather.
Over time, your product will darken slightly and develop a beautiful patina. Leather takes on more and more character as it ages - one of the things we love most about it!